This was a while before I owned a digital camera so no photo's of the original. It was fairly primitive but worked well and would stay in all night.
Some friends where interested by my fire and asked me to make them one.
I also went for a round door, as it allows the biggest log in through the smallest hole,
A little after I built this oneIi was asked to build one for fitting into the worksurface of a kitchen in a bus,
I have a load of build pictures of this one,
this led to a lot of experiments with door size and baffle placement inside the cylinders,
the strap hinge worked really well and I figured out a way of having a positive latch mechanism so the door could not open accidently when moving around.
One of the earlier ones i built was made to sit on a wheelarch in a mercedes truck so had special long front legs
In the end I think I built around 14 of these little things and in the final ones worked incredibly well, in some cases staying continually alight for a week, the door and valve sealed well enough that you could put the fire out, and it was possible to drive around with them lit without ending up with a fireball in the vehicle.
This one was for an airstream, and had the chimney offset so the window would not be obscured.
I really enjoyed handcutting the hinges.
These had the final model of catch, which clamped the door closed.
Sadly they work out too labour intensive to build any more, mainly because the bottle itself takes so much processing before it can be used.
But.... I am working on a model that can be repeat produced a lot more simply..
Cheers . and a happy productive new year. Dan.